Utica R.I.S.E


Utica R.I.S.E is a pro bono clinic that provides health services for the disadvantaged population in the Utica area. R.I.S.E  stands for Rehabilitation and Integrative Services for Everyone. This clinic is run by physical therapy students, second years and first years, with supervision from professionals in the field (including some of our pt faculty and staff). Utica R.I.S.E provides students with a great opportunity to get involved and give back to the community. These services help those who may not otherwise have an opportunity to receive therapy or health care services in general for a variety of reasons. They help restore physical capacities through a holistic approach focusing on wellness promotion. Not only does it help patients who come in, but it gives students a chance to interact with people and practice communication with patients through hands-on experience. One of the main goals of Utica R.I.S.E include educating new health care professionals in competency, character, citizenship, and social responsibility.


Students have the choice to join Utica R.I.S.E and it is not a mandatory course or experience. However, all of the student’s that I know that go to Utica R.I.S.E find it extremely beneficial and truly enjoy going each week. I started on a care team this semester and I love it! I learn so much each time I'm there and it gives me a chance to practice skills outside of the classroom with a patient. The environment is very welcoming and with the help of the faculty mentors, I feel comfortable practicing things I've learned. This clinic is something that makes Utica very special and shows how much the university enjoys being involved with the community. 


If you have any questions regarding this pro bono clinic please reach out at mmlazore@utica.edu and I will get back to you! 


Goodbye for now, folks☺


Maryanne


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome All

What a Schedule & Classes are Like in the First Year

Human Gross Anatomy: What to Expect